Monday, October 23, 2017

Meet the Speakers: Mike Wittmer


Mike Wittmer of Grand Rapids Theological Seminary will be speaking at this year's conference on The Good News of Glorification. We asked him some questions so you could get to know him better.
What’s your wife’s name, how long have you been married, and how many children do you have?
My wife's name is Julie. We've been married 22 years and have three children--one in college and two in high school.
Share a little about your educational background.

BA from Cedarville University. One year at Dallas Theological Seminary, then finished MDiv and ThM in Historical Theology from Grand Rapids Theological Seminary and PhD in Systematic Theology from Calvin Theological Seminary. 

How long have you been in your current position?

I've been teaching  at GRTS since 1996. My title is Professor of Systematic and Historical Theology.

What have been some of the best lessons you’ve learned in your role as a pastor/teacher and who are some of your greatest spiritual influences?

I have learned how essential words are for orthodox theology. We cannot be too careful and precise in declaring what the Scriptures teach and the church believes. I have also learned to value the church. It's too easy to criticize the local church, a sermon, or the worship service from an arrogant, cynical position. I have learned to love the church, and when correction is needed, to express it clearly but also kindly and gently. The truth should bind and heal rather than wound and kill.

My mentors include Joe Crawford and Jim Grier, who taught me theology at GRTS.
What would you most like your church to be known for?

I want the church to be a community that loves Jesus and each other. We must not sacrifice grace for truth or truth for grace, biblical preaching for loving fellowship or vice versa. We don't need to wow people with our fantastic services. Just be the body of Christ--worship Jesus, learn from His Word, and serve each other.
If you could spend an entire day with one person of your choosing from the Bible (not including Jesus), who would you choose and why?

I would choose John, then pump him with questions about Jesus. John also lived the longest of the New Testament authors, so he could fill me in on those important decades after Jesus ascended and before the Apostolic Fathers period. 
What are some of your hobbies/interests apart from the Bible/theology?
I "enjoy" watching Cleveland sports, although we almost never come in first. And even when we do, exactly one time in my life, it's still not enough (looking at you, Kyrie). I also enjoy riding bike with my son, watching my son and daughter in the Rockford band, doing manly jobs around the house, and eating a reasonable amount of ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment